General ability (present)
EX: I can speak English.
Ask for permission (informal)
EX: Can I borrow your pen please?
To request something
EX: Can you help me please?
EX: It can get very cold there at night
Offer to help someone
EX: Can I carry your bags for you?
Cannot (can’t) = not allowed
- EX: You cannot smoke in this room.
- EX: You can’t go to the party
Listen to all examples
General ability in the past
EX: I could play the piano when i was younger
Ask for permission (more polite)
EX: Could I read your book please?
To request something (more polite)
- EX: Could you pass me the salt please?
- EX: Could you give me some advice?
Possibility in the past (Could + have + past participle)
EX: I could have stayed up late, but I decided to go to bed early.
Suggestion (when asked what to do)
EX: We could visit New York while We’re there.
Conditional of Can (Would be able to)
- EX: If we had some oranges I could make you some fresh juice. (would be able to)